Sephora’s “Summer Surge” kicked off on Sunday with an exclusive shopping event for VIB Rouge members (the top Beauty Insider rewards program tier) and I actually woke up extra early on a Sunday to head to my favorite Sephora store just so I could score the exclusive goodies. This cute shopper (above), plus a “limited edition” cosmetic bag filled with samples were available during the event (from 9-11 AM) with a $35 purchase.
I actually got there after 11 AM, but I called first to make sure I would still be able to get the free stuff if I came late, and the sales associate told me that the shopper and cosmetic bags would still be available until they ran out of them. So, if you missed the event, you might still be able to get the freebies if your Sephora store didn’t run out of them yet!
These were the freebies in the “exclusive” makeup bag. The bag itself was just a plain black case — they made it sound a little nicer, but it’s whatever. I have so many makeup bags at this point that I don’t even know what to do with them, and a solid black one always comes in handy. I think the products in the sample bag differed a bit from person to person, I guess it depended on whatever the store had available. The bag I received included the following eight samples:
- Mini (0.06 oz.) BUXOM Buxom Lash Mascara in “Blackest Black”
- Make Up For Ever HD Blush in 410 (Coral) Sample Card — This was a good-sized sample card, though – I can get multiple uses out of this one.
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Mini Perfume Sample
- DR. JART+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 Mini Sample (0.2 oz.) — Also a good size, especially for trying out the product over a few days (I think I can get at least a week out of this tube, maybe more).
- Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm Mini Sample (0.23 oz.) — Another great size. I had this same exact sample before and you get a LOT of use out of this little jar. I would say almost a month since you use so little of the product around the eyes.
- Deluxe sample-sized (0.12 oz.) Blinc Mascara Amplified in Black — This is a completely new product for me so I’m excited to try it out.
- Benefit Watt’s Up! Highlighter Mini Sample (0.08 oz.) — I have so many of these already that I haven’t even had to buy the full-sized product yet. Love this one and the sample size lasts forever because I use so little of the product, it’s great!
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Protect Deluxe Sample (0.5 oz.) — Awesome size, great primer. I have actually been mixing this with my other Laura Mercier primer (the radiance one) and I’m loving the result.
And, of course, I had to buy something. In order to get the freebies you had to spend at least $35, which is never a problem for me when it comes to ANY kind of shopping, not just makeup! I actually placed an online order on Sephora.com a couple days before the “Summer Surge” on Sunday, so I really didn’t NEED anything.
- Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray ($18 for 7.5 oz.; sephora.com): I got this because I so desperately needed a new, GOOD hair spray. My hair gets super frizzy and poofy during the summer, and I have been on the hunt for a good anti-humidity hair spray for … years, really. I love Alterna’s Bamboo Smooth line so I decided to try this one out, and I’m definitely liking it a lot so far! I’ll really put it to the test the next time it rains — which will probably be in a day or two thanks to this super stormy New York summer.
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Violet ($20 for 0.01 oz.; sephora.com): I don’t really use Stila’s Smudge Sticks in natural colors for everyday wear, but I do love the ones that come in bright colors and I decided to start a mini collection. It seems like some of the bright colors are only available in stores (like the turquoise shade), but this beautiful violet is definitely available in stores and online. I’m going to do a colorful summer eyeliner post this week and include this one from Stila 🙂
- Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix ($12 for 1.01 oz.; sephora.com): I’ve been using the Urban Decay All Nighter makeup setting spray for a couple of years now, but I have been meaning to try out this one from MUFE since the product description makes it sound so wonderful. I only used this once so far (I’ve been doing lazy, half-assed makeup the last few days), but I think I like it better than the UD spray! I bought the smaller bottle so I could try it out; the full-size bottle costs $29.
And the very last things I got during the Sephora Summer Surge shopping event were these two Beauty Insider 100-point samples. I have so many points and I keep saving them up for an awesome 500-point set, and there are some great 500-point rewards right now but it’s all stuff I either already have, or stuff I don’t really have a use for. So I just pick up the 100-point samples whenever I see something I like. I actually have so many of the 100-point Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Exfoliant (my favorite exfoliator) right now that I don’t even have to buy the full-size tube anytime soon 🙂
The Sephora Summer Surge is going on until August 10 and it’s a chance for Sephora Beauty Insiders on all tiers of the program to earn extra points on all purchases, in-store and online. Beauty Insiders (the first tier) get 2x points, VIBS (the second tier) get 3x points, and VIB Rouge (the third tier) get 4x points.
They say the free goodies are just for VIB Rouge, but if it’s not a busy store and they have extra freebies they might be able to give them to any Beauty Insider member. Always ask for free samples no matter what! You’d be surprised by what they have behind the counter — like how I had no idea they had this freebie from BUXOM on my last trip. Happy summer makeup shopping!